10 Wines for Your New Year’s Celebration
What’s not to love about Champagne? It goes with every type of food, it’s perfect all by itself and it makes any occasion special. Going into the next decade of the 21st century certainly calls for a drink – of something special! Cheers!
Top 5 Best Selling Champagnes over $30:
1. Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne – $40
2. Ariston Aspasie Brut Rosé Champagne – $33
3. 2002 Perrier-Jouët “Fleur de Champagne Belle Epoque” half-bottle – $40
4. Krug “Grande Cuvée” Brut Champagne – $120
5. Marguet Pere et Fils “Cuvee Reserve” Brut Champagne – $33
Top 5 Best Selling Champagnes for $30 or less:
1. Ariston Aspasie “Carte Blanche” Brut Champagne – $25
2. Nicholas Feuillatte “Blue Label” Brut Champagne – $25\
3. Laurent-Perrier Brut Champagne – $30
4. Michel Loriot “Cuvee Reserve” Brut Champagne -$30
5. Philippe Gonet “Brut Reserve” Champagne – $30
Serve with Mini Potato Pancake Appetizers
Mini Potato Pancakes
2 russet (baking) potatoes, peeled
1 small yellow onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup Crisco or peanut oil for frying
1. Finely grate the potatoes and onion onto a freshly washed kitchen towel. When all is grated, wrap the towel around the pieces holding the towel over the sink and wring out all excess liquid.
2. Place the potato pieces into a mixing bowl and add the flour, egg, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Pan is ready when you splash cold water from your fingers into the pan and it sizzles.
4. Using a tablespoon, drop potato mixture into the pan. Cook about 2 minutes per side, until the surfaces are brown and crispy and the insides are tender and cooked through. If your pan isn’t large enough to cook the pancakes all at once, do them in batches. Add more oil to the pan if necessary.
5. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm in 200 degree C oven while you finish cooking the rest. Serve warm with toppings of your choice.
Sour Cream with a sprinkling of scallions or caviar
A little granulated sugar
Apple/Onion Chutney – homemade or store bought
Enjoy with a glass of your favorite Champagne.